I designed this teaching game in 2014 as a different sort of hands-on activity to supplement my Software Testing & Risk Management training sessions and presentations, specifically to highlight certain concepts around risk mitigation strategies.
This version of “Project: Risky Decision”, updated in 2020, is made available here as a free print-and-play card game in hopes it might do the same for you and your teams!
Project: Risky Decision is a fast-paced game of probabilities and eventualities where players take on the roles of Software Project Managers trying to release their projects successfully. Your company will rise or fall upon the success or failure of your risky decisions.
Players must complete each game without exceeding the Impact Limit from realized risks that their project can absorb and still be considered a success.
Players mitigate the Likelihood and Impact values of their project risks with project events.
- A lower Likelihood means a better chance of discarding the risk.
- A lower Impact means fewer points accumulating towards the Impact Limit.
This is a free print-and-play card game. Download here.
Related Articles & Presentations
Here are a few of the more relevant articles and presentations from this site about risk-based testing and risk management. Think about them as you play the game and vice-versa.
- Risk Mitigation – Scarcity Leads to Risk-Driven Choices
- Risk Clustering – Project-Killing Risks of Doom
- Don’t Wait, Take – A Smart Approach to Testing
- Risk-driven Testing vs. Risk-based Testing – It’s the Thought that Counts
- Risk-based Testing – Targeting the Risk
- Risk Management
- What is Risk in Software Development?
Thanks for Playing!